Horror Movies & Sci-Fi Movies Database
After New york City is damaged by hundreds of small meteorites, NASA discovers an asteroid the size of Texas is on a collision course with Earth. They recruit the best deep core driller in the world, Harry Stamper, to train astronauts who will go to the asteroid, drill into the center and detonate a nuclear warhead. Harry says he can't train men how to drill in ten days, so he brings in his own team of roughnecks to learn to become astronauts and get the job done. One of his team is the fiance of his own daughter.
It's Closer Than You Think.
Release Date: July 01, 1998
Runtime: 150 mins
All Genres: Action, Adventure, Romance, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Languages: English, Russian
Sound: DTS, Dolby Digital, SDDS
IMDB Rating: 6.1
Brimstone Pit Rating: 7.1 - (Rate This Horror Movie)
Category: Horror Movies Starting With A
MPAA Rating: Unrated
MPAA Rating Reason:
Rated PG-13 for sci-fi disaster action, sensuality and brief language.
Bruce Willis ...Harry Stamper
Billy Bob Thornton ...Dan Truman
Ben Affleck ...A.J. Frost
Liv Tyler ...Grace Stamper
Will Patton ...Chick
Steve Buscemi ...Rockhound
William Fichtner ...Colonel Willie Sharp
Owen Wilson ...Oscar
Michael Clarke Duncan ...Bear
Peter Stormare ...Lev Andropov
Ken Hudson Campbell ...Max (as Ken Campbell)
Jessica Steen ...Co-Pilot Jennifer Watts
Keith David ...General Kimsey
Chris Ellis ...Flight Director Clark
Jason Isaacs ...Ronald Quincy
Grayson McCouch ...Gruber
Clark Heathcliffe Brolly ...Noonan (as Clark Brolly)
Marshall R. Teague ...Colonel Davis (as Marshall Teague)
Anthony Guidera ...Co-Pilot Tucker
Greg Collins ...Halsey
J. Patrick McCormack ...General Boffer
Ian Quinn ...Astronaut Pete Shelby
Christopher J. Worret ...Operator #1
Adam Smith ...Operator #2 (as Adam C. Smith)
John Mahon ...Karl
Grace Zabriskie ...Dottie
K.C. Leomiti ...Samoan
Eddie Griffin ...Bike Messenger
Deborah Nishimura ...Client #1
Albert Wong ...Client #2
» [more cast members]
Gale Anne Hurd
Jim Van Wyck
Barry H. Waldman
Robert Roy Pool
Armageddon Horror Film Trailer 1
"I Don't Want To Miss A Thing"
"Mister Big Time"
"When The Rainbow Comes"
"Wish I Were You"
"Roll Me Away"
"What Kind Of Love Are You On"
More Movie Taglines:
- It's Closer Than You Think.
- Heads Up!
- Earth. It Was Fun While It Lasted.
- The Earth's Darkest Day Will Be Man's Finest Hour
- For Love. For Honor. For Mankind.
- Take the Ride of Your Life!
- All the time in the world is all they've got.
- Prepare to Fight Like There's No Tomorrow.
- School's out..... forever.
- Time To Kick Some Asteroid
- No more taxes...ever.
- Nothing on Earth can prepare you
- Chick: I never told anybody this before, but I hate flyin'. So it would be an awful shame to die now. Rockhound: That's easy for you to say. I owe 100 grand to a fat-ass loan shark which I spent on a stripper named Molly Mounds. Chick: Boy, that's bad.
Chick: Man, what are you doing with a gun in space?
F.B.I. Agent: We have a national security matter. Rockhound: Good for you.
[after escaping the Russian Space Station explosion] Freddy Noonan: Pretty intense, huh? Lev Andropov: That's why I told you "touch nothing". But you're bunch of cowboys!
Lev Andropov: Don't touch my uncle! You know? He's a genius of my family.
- Because of the patriotic nature of the script and the success of using Top Gun (1986) as recruitment material, the producers persuaded NASA to allow director Michael Bay and company to shoot in the normally restricted space agency. This included the neutral buoyancy lab, a 65-million-gallon, 40-foot-deep pool used to train astronauts for weightlessness and the use of two $10-million space suits. The crew was also allowed to shoot in the historic launch pad that went out of service after the Apollo 1 disaster, and parts of the movie were filmed at Edwards Air Force Base in California.
This was the first movie that the cast was allowed to use genuine NASA spacesuits. The cast are the only civilians to ever wear NASA spacesuits, which cost over $3 million each.
Director Michael Bay had the actors write their list of demands on the papers that Bruce Willis read from.
The convenient existence of a fault plane passing right through the asteroid is not unrealistic. Several asteroids are now believed to be "contact binaries", each apparently consisting of two separate lumps of rock that are just sitting on each other.
The film opened on Liv Tyler's 21st birthday.
» User Comments at imdb.com
» More information at imdb.com
Asteroid, Drill, NASA, Nuclear, Astronaut ...[more]
Rating: 7.1 out of 10.0 - 64 votes cast total
BURIED HORROR MOVIE REVIEWS
Horror movies, horror movie reviews, fiction reviews, interviews, conventions, horror editorials, special features & alot more from the guys your mom warned you about.
MORTAL KOMBAT NIGHTMARES - WELCOME TO OUR WORLD
Mortal Kombat Nightmares is the premiere source for all that is Mortal Kombat. Complete coverage of the entire MK series.
SCREAM QUEEN OF THE MONTH
Featuring the hottest ladies in horror. From Scream Queens to B-movie Babes, we have them all! The Horror Hotties are here!